Monday, July 27, 2009

I know a Guy ....

Yea! My weathered outdoor furniture just got a face lift. Local Yellow Pages? Nope. I found "a guy." In my neighborhood, if you need something done, just make it known. There's always a guy. There's a guy who paints, a guy who makes screens, a guy who builds furniture, a guy who moves furniture .... well, you get the gist of it. Recently we needed some major painting done at our house. Sure enough. Our lovely friend Tania knew a guy: Hedo the painter. Well, actually, Hedo is not his real name. I don't think it's nice to use real names of people without their permission. Unless, of course, they are public figures. Then all bets are off. Not that anyone will become famous based on my blog, but you just never know. And I don't want to get sued.
Like most of the workers trying to get ahead in this developing country, Hedo is very enterprising. Soon after we made it known we needed a painter, Hedo showed up out of nowhere ... on a bicycle, of course. Bicycles are a common mode of transportation around here. It is not unusual to see people hauling tools, produce, chickens, or even babies on their bicycles. I guess you can't have a seat belt law to cover that one. Anyway, Hedo looked around at the job to be done, and left as quickly as he arrived, with the promise of a cotizacion (price). Senor Dan has learned to fear the word "cotizacion." He says it translates to dollars flying out of his wallet.
When it comes to arranging work to be done, it seems the Panamanians don't adhere to the same time constraints or schedules we have come to expect from our own past experiences. I am not exactly criticising this apparent cultural norm, as I have noticed that people who live and work in this country seem to laugh and smile a lot. I have found that "manana" does not necessarily mean tomorrow, nor does it mean anytime soon (or ever). But, I must admit, it has taken me three years to lighten up on my expectations. I would like to think I am a better person for it. Anyway, to my surprise and delight, the next day, Hedo came back with his price. We agreed, and soon his crew started showing up. How he and his boys got all that painting equipment here on their bicycles is beyond me. And I am pretty sure they all have real day jobs but are earning some extra cash. Because wages here are so low, moonlighting during break hours, lunch hours, and after hours seems to be a commonly accepted and even encouraged practice.

Hedo and his team spent 3 or four days painting wrought iron, outdoor light fixtures, gutters, furniture ... you name it. They'll paint anything. But I am still trying to figure out which one of them hauled the electric sander here on his bicycle. The painting jobs at our house are done and everything looks great. And the price, well, let's just say I could do all that every few months and still think it was a good deal. Well, actually, after the rain we had last night, the furniture probably will need Hedo's attention again in a few months anyway! When we settled up with Hedo and gave him a nice big tip, we realized we have a new friend. And, as he left, he flashed his big smile and asked if we wanted a cotizacion for painting the whole outside of the house. He hooked me right up ... come dry season, we'll see him again, for sure. Oh, and a side note: While Hedo gets around during his work days via bicycle, he actually lives about 80 miles away. Every morning, he boards a bus, travels to our community, picks up the bike he keeps around here somewhere, and goes to work. Then he heads back home by bus every night. And he doesn't seem to think this is unusual. The more I learn about the lives of the wonderful people who live here, the more humbled I feel and the more grateful I am that Dan and I are on this adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment